An armed robber who tried to make some easy money on Christmas Eve got a lot more than he bargained when a Black belt karate expert took the thief to the ground until police arrived.

Sibu Kurevilla, 43, has worked in his shop for three years building up his customer base and has never had a problem but this Christmas Eve he took the situation under control when a man walked in his shop at 10pm, shouting and waving his gun asking to empty his cash register.

The owner was a 1st Dan black ban in Seibukan karate and has taught youngsters this art for years.

Mr Sibu Kurevilla, father of two waited for the right moment to take the armed robber down, waiting till he got close enough to take his weapon off him and take him down.

After he got his moment he and his colleague wrestled the armed robber down to the ground and put him in a submission and a leg lock which left the attacker begging them to let him go.

Mr Kuruvilla said: “He came over me actually and I was like ‘please don’t hurt us’ and you get to a point where you think you have to do something and you have to react.”

“That is where I thought I could do something and I have the courage to do it.”

He added: “Because my sensei (karate teacher) taught me well – tackle people when you’re in that situation.

Sibu Kurevilla tackled armed robber to the ground using his Karate skills

“I do a bit of martial arts, I do Seibukan karate, so it is probably because of that I got the courage to tackle him.”

Asked if he thought the armed robber had been expecting the moves, Mr Kuruvilla replied: “Yes, he was not expecting that – for us to react and to overpower him.

“He was thinking ‘easy money, two minutes, two grand’, something like that.

“He was a big bloke.”

Mr Kuruvilla said: “He was begging towards the end – he was tired, he gave up I think – ‘please let me go, please let me go’ and he said ‘I will not come back to my shop’

“I said ‘you will not come back to this shop – but you’ll go to another shop, so I won’t let you go.’

“Then he gave up.

“I put him in a leg lock so he won’t move, and my boy was on top of him to make sure he wasn’t.”

Mr Sibu Kuruvilla worked as a chef before he decided to start his own business three years ago. His two daughters were locked in the back store office to keep them safe during the attack.

Both daughters were able to see they whole incident on the CCTV monitor but were not able to call the police because the phone was out of range.

Two customers had entered the shop but left before a third customer called the police.

However, the silent alarm was already triggered by the the owner which directly sent a emergency call for help to the police station.

It took 13 minutes for the police to arrive at the scene.

Sibu Kurevilla later told: “I hope he will learn his lessons and move on as a better person.”

Asked why he acted, he added: “There is no other way, if you’re running scared, where are you going end up?

“You’re going to keep on running.

“You stand up and face what you come up against. That’s what I believe.”

Leicestershire Police have said a 17 year old man has been taken into custody in connection with the incident and has been granted bail pending police enquiries.