A man who was kidnapped, raped and robbed a woman who got into his vehicle after mistaking him for an Uber driver has been jailed.

Mohammed Awais, of East Ham, London, was driving a white Toyota Auris which arrived the victim’s location, which she then got into.

The court heard she got into the vehicle at around 12.30am on October 20 after a night-out in Dalston with her friends. 

When she voiced her suspicion after the driver did not appear to know where he was supposed to be going, he locked the doors and sped up.

The terrified victim, 28, was driven to a dimly lit alleyway in East Ham where she was raped.  

After the attack the male robbed the victim of her possessions, including her phone, cash and a laptop, and ordered her to get out of the car. He then drove away.

The victim fled and ran as far as she could, hiding in the front garden of a residential address to ensure that the suspect was not following her. She was then able to alert two members of the public in the street, who called police.

An investigation was launched by officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command.

Awais was identified as the person driving the vehicle by another man, and was arrested as part of the investigation.

He was sentenced to nine years and fours months at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

He had pleaded guilty at the same court at an earlier hearing in 2018 to rape, assault by penetration, kidnap, robbery, driving whilst disqualified and driving without insurance.

DS Emma Matthews led the investigation. She said: ‘It was established the legitimate Uber vehicle the victim had booked had been cancelled without her realising.

‘Awais, who had never worked as an Uber driver, arrived at the location purely by chance and, spotting a lone female, acted as an imposter to get her into his vehicle before carrying out his despicable attack.

‘His disgusting behaviour is beyond comprehension. He left the victim in fear of her life.

‘She has been extraordinarily brave throughout the entire process. I would like to thank her for supporting our investigation, and hope that eventually, and with our continued support, she will one day be able to leave this terrible incident behind her.’