Fatmir Stafasani, 49, lowered himself through victim’s skylight, stabbed her with a crow bar and left her to die.

Fatmir Stafasani has been jailed for 18 years for the carefully planned attack.

He was caught on CCTV leaving the victim’s house in Fulham with the crowbar still in his hand.

Police said throughout his subsequent trial, he remained silent and “showed no emotion”.

Stafasani gained access to his victim’s apartment by constructing a makeshift rig on the roof of the block and abseiling through a skylight.

Once inside the victim’s house he waited one hour before launching the brutal attack.

The victim who cannot be named for security reasons, suffered five fractures to the skull, cuts to her hand, a broken hand and fingers.

She somehow managed to crawl to a neighbour’s flat and call for help before falling unconscious.

Emergency services arrived quickly and took her to hospital, the victim was in coma for 9 days.

The Met Police said “she has since been discharged, but has continued to suffer physical and emotional repercussions of the attack”.

Police took the help of CCTV, vehicle registration technology, phone data to identify the attacker as Stafasani.

When the victim gained consciousness she also confirmed the attacker as Stafasani.

Stafasani from Brunswick Court, was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court for 18 years for attempted murder and aggravated burglary.

The judge said he considered Stafasani a dangerous offender and issued him with an extended licence of four years.

The senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector Damian Ash, said: “This was a particularly heinous attack in the victim’s own home, which involved careful and premeditated planning by Stafasani.”

“He abseiled into her flat and lay in wait before carrying out a vicious attack and leaving her for dead”.

“We do not know the motive behind this attack. Fatmir Stafasani has remained silent throughout, and even now has shown no emotion”.

“I’d like to pay tribute to Detective Constable Alex Rum who worked tirelessly on the case, to the medical staff at St Mary’s Hospital who no doubt saved the victim’s life and most of all to the victim herself who showed great courage throughout this investigation”.

“The investigation team and I hope she can continue to make the best possible recovery.”