Police have now stepped down after no evidence found of casualties, suspects or any shots fired.
The Met police said they received a number of 999 calls alerting them of shots fired at oxford circus tube station.
Armed police locked down the area and carried out a thorough search for any suspect, Tube stations have now opened and are operating normally.
A spokesperson for the Met said: “Given the nature of the information received, the Met responded in line with our existing operation as if the incident was terrorism, including the deployment of armed officers. ‘Officers working with colleagues from British Transport Police carried out an urgent search of the area. No causalities, evidence of any shots fired or any suspects were located by police.”
“Some cordons remain in place and additional officers remain on duty in the West End to reassure the public.’ Police previously urged anyone nearby to leave the area or seek refuge in a building as they carried out an operation. A woman who sustained minor injuries as people rushed out of the busy Underground station is believed to be the only person hurt in the incident.”
A number of people tweeted about the incident:
— Charlotte Terry (@CharlotteTerry1) November 24, 2017
— king (@Somalikingg) November 24, 2017
— Emily (@EmilyBarnfather) November 24, 2017
TFL Jam cam view of Oxford Circus. Looks like there's a lot of police and the area is in lockdown. Probably best to avoid the area. pic.twitter.com/rzdmViV2Yv
— Phil Verney (@philverney) November 24, 2017